Happy New Year from the SmedleyCanoe Team!
2014 in Review
- Liam’s shoulder dislocation and subsequent surgery/rehab. A defining point in 2014 for our team of two. Injuries happen, they really suck, they make you question yourself, give your motivation a hit, but if you come back, you’re more ready than ever because you’ve already hit the bottom.
- Cam’s 14th place finish at World Cup 1 in London, UK. It was nice to finally race on the London course, and to lay down a top result early in the season.
- Qualification of Canada’s C1M & C2M athlete spots in the 2015 Toronto PanAm Games. Liam traveled to Mexico in July to race the categories at the PanAm Championships and secure Canada’s nation spots in this year’s Games.
- SmedleyCanoe Gold Medal Sweep of all our canoe races at the Slalom National Championships. Our Ontario C1M team (Cam, Liam and Spencer) also won the team race, and we were only 4 seconds behind the top K1M team.
- New C1 boat designs. With changes in the boat regulations, it was time to try new designs that are narrower and lighter than before. Cam started paddling a MM Max in June, and Liam got his new Caribou Canoe (Vajda One) this past fall.
2015 Looking Forward
- Winter training in New Zealand and Australia. We leave soon for a 2 month trip to train and get some pre-season racing done in the southern hemisphere.
- 2015 PanAm Games in Toronto! This is the first year Canoe Slalom will be included in the games, and we are excited to race at home on the Minden whitewater course. This race is the continental qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics, deciding which countries will receive a continental spot in each category.
- Raising awareness and funds for the Canadian Athletes Now Fund (CAN Fund). In 2015 we’re hoping to be able to raise awareness and funds for this charity, which directly supports Canadian amateur athletes. Cam is a past recipient of funding.
- Canoe Slalom World Championships on the London Olympic Course. This will be the primary qualifier for the 2016 Olympics, with athlete placement determining which nations will receive spots to compete in the games.
- Growing the SmedleyCanoe Team, sharing the athlete experience, and the build up to the 2015 PanAm Games. We are actively seeking businesses who would like to join the SmedleyCanoe team. We’ll be sharing our year with supporters through the blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more SmedleyCanoe video edits.
Thank you for your support in 2014 and we wish you all the best in 2015! See you on the water…
– Cam & Liam
Tags for this post